4th Storytelling & Storyboarding Science at Locarno Film Festival
For PhD students who want to improve their communication skills
In the workshop we seek to challenge, inspire and train scientists to use narrative techniques and strategies employed in film to produce persuasive presentations and publications. Borrowing communication strategies and techniques from filmmakers will help scientists to improve communicating their research.
The programme includes:
- Scientists learn storytelling and storyboarding from the masters of narrative, the filmmakers.
- Scientists learn how to borrow communication strategies and techniques from filmmakers and how to apply them in communicating their science. This will help them to engage audience and increase uptake by incorporating narrative attributes into their teaching, divulgations and publications.
- Scientists re-write their biographies, abstracts and presentations by using narrative attributes used by filmmakers
- Scientists attend the Locarno Film Festival 2022 (the 75th edition). This is a great opportunity for them to meet professional filmmakers and discuss with storytelling technics that they can use in communicating their research.
- Eventually, scientists can prepare films about their interviews with the filmmakers.
- 7 PhD students through the University of Basel
- 5 PhD students through the SCNAT Biology Platform, who are members of a member society of the platform (see: https://biol.scnat.ch/en/portrait/specialist_associations)
- 2 PhD students through Life Science Zurich (University of Zurich and ETH)
Registration between 1 and 31 May 2022
PhD students applying through the SCNAT Biology Platform send their applications including a motivation letter (maximum 5 lines) and a confirmation of their membership of a professional society affiliated to the Biology Platform to Samer Angelone (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Youth Hostel, Locarno
- HauptorganisatorSwiss Science Film Academy
Dr. Samer Angelone
Swiss Science Film Academy